Signal Strength is a project to advance mobile democracy. It consists of modules for ad-hoc social networking that let people in an urban area interact offline, leveraging their mobile phones for untraceable communications. This is a hack to your existing cell phone that adds another radio to extend the range and allow you to connect peer-to-peer. It works completely independently of your cell phone provider, has a much larger range than just using Bluetooth, and can connect astronomically more users than just using Bluetooth.
Signal Strength has been seen working with the following android phones:
- Samsung 4 Galaxy - Droid Incredible 2
- Motorola Droid X
- HTC ThunderBolt
- Nexus One
- and more!
- Fellowship Welcoming Party, A.I.R. Gallery, May 7, 2013.
- NBC Design Summit, at Times Square, April 12, 2013.
- Internet of Things, at Eyebeam, March 20, 2013.
- Hacker Space Continuum, Los Angeles Convention Center, August 9, 2012.
- Activist Networking Techniques, Los Angeles Convention Center, August 7, 2012.
- SIGGRAPH 2012, Los Angeles Convention Center, August 5-9, 2012.
- Flock House, at DUMBO, Brooklyn, NY, July 10-14, 2012.
- Wiki World's Fair, Governor's Island, July 7, 2012.
- Speaker's Corners: OWS Share Day, with Eyebeam and OWS archives, March 31st, 2012.
- Activist Technology Demo Day, with Eyebeam and The Public School NY, January 28th, 2012.
- Building Better Speech, Parsons SchooaDesign, November 9th, 2011.
- Parsons Alumni Reunion Slideshow, Parsons School of Design, October 22nd, 2011.
- Occupy Wall Street, at Zuccotti Park, October 2, 9, 16, 25, 2011.
- Maker Faire, with Eyebeam at NY Hall of Science, September 17-18th, 2011.
- Open Hardware Summit, at NY Hall of Science, September 15th, 2011.
- Dorkbot NYC, at Location One, September 7, 2011.
- Leaders in Software and Art, at Crossing Art Gallery, July 14, 2011.
- Open Studios, at Eyebeam Art and Technology Center, June 17-18, 2011.
- "Can mesh networks and offline wireless move from protest tools to news?" in NiemanLab, Nov. 10, 2014.
- "Amelia Marzec, Artist." Les Femmes Folles, June 2014.
- "Undergrowth," on Radiohive, April 23, 2013.
- "Artists, Environmentalists and Engineers Bring 'The Flock House Project' To New York City," in The Huffington Post, July 13, 2012
- "Inventing the Future," in Localflux, June 22nd, 2012.
- "Occupy Wall Street Ignites Political Hackathon," by Keith Axline and Bryan Derballa, in Wired, October 7th, 2011.