Weather Center for the Apocalypse
Weather tower, taking a reading outside.
Close-up of weather instruments.
Forecasting in the underground video room.
Severe risk broadcast (Video still).
Future Satellite: Satellite Model.
Future Satellite: Satellite Dish, a receiver, and the Transient Civic Broadcast System.
Satellite launch in Coney Island (Video still).
Weather Center for the Apocalypse: Flint, Michigan.
Video forecast from Helsinki.
Weather Center for the Apocalypse is alert to an uncertain future. It predicts changes in our environment and culture that could affect the autonomy of citizens in the event of disaster. It creates an alternative to the media-driven forecasts we are bombarded with, by asking the community to participate with their own fears and superstitions. It strengthens our ties for the times when we will need to rely on each other.
FORECAST PORTAL >>
FUTURE SATELLITE (COMMUNICATION SYSTEM) >>
CUNY, Flint Public Art Project, FLEFF at Ithaca College, University of Vermont, Flux Factory, Rutgers University, Materials for the Arts
Reporters: Hethre Contant, Vincent Dean Boyce
Crew: Henry Visotski, Charles Contant, Terry Contant, Alessio Tacca
Materials and Technology Created:
Weather instruments using sensors and Arduino, custom Processing software, radio transmitter and radio program, forecast videos.
- Radical Infiltrations New Media Exhibition, online, with the 23rd Annual Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival at Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY, announced March 19, 2020. Jury Prize winner.
- Dissolving Artifacts, with Studio 200 at 10 Jay Street, Brooklyn, NY, January 9-April 12, 2020. Performance on January 9, 2020.
- DECODE: Artists Policing Data, at Anya and Andrew Shiva Gallery, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, NYC, November 28, 2018-January 18, 2019. Performances on December 12 and 20, 2018, and January 9, 2019.
- Saunter Trek Escort Parade... (S.T.E.P.), performance score is included at Flux Factory, September 6–30, and Queens Museum, October 28–December 2, 2018, Queens, NY.
- Free City 2017: Ecology & Technology, with Flint Public Art Project at Chevy Commons, Flint, Michigan, August 18-19, 2017.
- Comparte Digital, online exhibition, August 1-12, 2017.
- Weather Center for the Apocalypse / Future Satellite, Solo Exhibition at Harvestworks, NYC, August 2-4, 2017.
- LAPSody 2017, University of the Arts Helsinki, Finland, May 24-27, 2017.
- Eyebeam Open Studio, Brooklyn, NY, February 25, 2017.
- Aridoamérica Winter Plan at El Museo de Los Sures, Brooklyn, NY, February 10-23, 2017.
- Climate Week, at United Nations Plaza, NYC, September 20, 2016.
- Sixth Extinction Howl, at Billings Library, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, September 14, 2016.
- Artificial Retirement, at Flux Factory, Queens, NY, August 19-September 11, 2016.
- WetLand, at Long Wharf in Sag Harbor, with Parrish Art Museum, June 10-11, 2016.
- FIGMENT Festival, at Governor's Island, June 5, 2016.
- Creative Tech Week, at Industry City Factory Floor, April 29, 2016.
- Newtown Barge Playground, December 13, 2015.
- Performing Digital-Disruption, at A.I.R Gallery, November 11, 2015.
- STROBE Network, at Flux Factory, June 12-21, 2015.
- FIGMENT Festival, at Governor's Island, June 7, 2015.
Press, books, blogs:
- "Banner Drop: The Quarantine Edition," Welcome To Our Bare Art World, May 23, 2020.
- "FLEFF Presents "Radical Infiltrations" Exhibition of New Media Art," Ithaca College Intercom, March 24, 2020.
- "Apocalyptic Visions: How do these Artists and Designers face the impending future of the Climate Crisis and other Global Disasters?" Unbore, November 11, 2019.
- "DECODE: Artists Policing Data," Exhibition catalog, November 2018.
- "Predicting the Weather for the Apocalypse," Hyperallergic, July 31, 2017.
- "An exhibition by Amelia Marzec at Harvestworks." Internet of Things Council, July 29, 2017.
- "Meteorology Meets Fortune Telling at the 'Weather Center for the Apocalypse,'" Creators, July 28, 2017.
- "Ecological art: a more creative call to action," The Vermont Cynic, September 22, 2016.
- "Amelia Marzec's Weather Center for the Apocalypse," Firstindigo&Lifestyle, September 19, 2016.
- "Artists Howl for the Anthropocene," Seven Days, September 16, 2016.
- "Exhibition of 'Failure in this Technologically Aided Era'," Adafruit blog, September 9, 2016.
- "Alternative to The Media-Driven Forecasts," Medium, September 8, 2016.