new american sweatshop
New American Sweatshop is an immersive experience where electronic waste is re-purposed to create communication devices for the future. It combines performance with functional objects to bring questions of economic sustainability to light. It tells the story of maintaining our human unity through decentralizing technology. Performers engage the audience while creating a series of products, inviting them to unwittingly become a part of the New American Sweatshop, and therefore defining what manufacturing could look like in a post-industrial economy. Go To Site
- LUMEN Festival Full Commission (Staten Island Arts)
- Barter Town (occupied), Brooklyn Museum, Oct. 25, 2014.
- Artist Talk, A.I.R. Gallery, Oct. 9, 2014.
- LUMEN, Staten Island, June 28, 2014.
- FIGMENT, Governor's Island, June 8, 2014.
- Women in Art and Technology, A.I.R. Gallery, Brooklyn, April 23, 2014.
- Solo Show, Artist Talk, Performances: New American Sweatshop, A.I.R. Gallery, Brooklyn, April 3-27, 2014.
- Guest Artist Talk, Barnard College, Oct. 28, 2013.
- What do we do now? Alternatives Fair, Eyebeam Art and Technology Center, NYC, October 2013.
- PRISM Break-up, Eyebeam Art and Technology Center, NYC, October 2013.
- DUMBO Arts Festival, in DUMBO, Brooklyn, September 27-29, 2013.
- Open Hardware Summit, at MIT, September 6, 2013.
- Destination Moon, at Hostel International, August 17, 2013.
- Crest Hardware Art Show, June 8-August 31, 2013.
- MoMA Studio: Exchange Café (job interviews), June 2013.
- Arte Útil Ecological & Scientific Interventions Working Group, Queens Museum of Art, April 14 and June 2, 2013.
- Fellowship Welcoming Party, A.I.R. Gallery, May 7, 2013.
- Rally for Labor & Citizen's Rights, City Hall NYC, May 1st, 2013.
- "Staten Island's ultra-hip LUMEN: Big art gestures, small strokes lure thousands to Atlantic Salt." Staten Island Advance, June 2014.
- "Amelia Marzec, Artist." Les Femmes Folles, June 2014.
- "How to Build a Greener, Solar-Powered Music Festival." Motherboard, June 2014.
- "Amelia Marzec: "New American Sweatshop." an installation that demonstrates a new model for electronics manufacturing in America." The Internet of Things Council, March 2014.
- "Weekend Guide: Dumbo Art Festival." Friends of Materials for the Arts, September 2013.
- "Dumbo Arts Festival 2013." This Week in New York, September 2013.
- "5 Artsy Fairs To See Outside NYC This Weekend," in The Wild Magazine, September 2013.
- "Summer of Making in NYC," in Make, September 2013.
- "Art is Hardware, Hardware is Art" slideshow, in Greenpointers, July 2013.
- "New American Sweatshop" by Andrew Salomone, in Make, April 30th, 2013.
- Radiohive, "Undergrowth," April 23, 2013.